Head of Design
This is a full-time position based in our Berlin, Germany office.
CareerFoundry is building the most human-centric online education experience for career changers in the fields of UX, UI, web development, and data analytics. We’re rated one of the best online bootcamps by CourseReport and are growing in the US and Europe by more than 60% per year.
We’re looking for an empathetic and experienced designer to help optimize our proprietary learning platform and learning experience for our diverse set of online learners and career changers. You will take strong ownership of the design process at the company and will lead the design team in evangelizing design throughout the company. You should be familiar with UX, UI, and user research methodologies and excited by the challenge of keeping learners motivated in an online environment.
We are a small company with nationalities from over 20 countries. We live and celebrate diversity and see a good work-life balance as our responsibility. As a learning company, we also emphasize our own learning. As such, we’re looking for someone who is excited about working closely with their team, providing mentorship and professional development opportunities to their team members, and creating an inclusive, collaborative, and transparent work environment within the team.
Mission as the Head of Design:
Product and marketing design and user research
- Advocate for and represent both our internal and external users (our students, mentors, tutors, and internal users)
- Manage user research practices, helping teams make data-driven decisions with effective quantitative and qualitative methodologies
- Oversee the design and creative elements of projects and be the point of contact for visual identity, offering quality control over creative output within the company
- Produce design concepts big and small that meet our objectives and reflect our overall business strategy
- Aid the release of feature requests and bug fixes in order to meet user needs
- Lead a team of 3 UX, UI, and product designers who are embedded in cross-functional teams, including hiring, performance management, and budget management
- Provide feedback and mentorship to your team members, working with them on professional development goals and improving output and productivity
- Emphasize best practices in design and continually help the team learn and grow, staying current with developments in the field
- Maintain overarching design artifacts such as user journeys, personas, and our design system
Design strategy and communication
- Work with the Director of Product on long-term product strategy and vision and collaborate with teams across the company on strategy
- Create a vision for the design team and how design should develop at CareerFoundry
- Represent the design team, communicate about design team initiatives, and collaborate with product management, engineering, marketing, and other teams throughout the company on design decisions and direction
- Educate the organization on the value of design and push for design as a thought process in projects throughout the organization
- 5+ years’ experience as a designer for a web-based application
- 2+ years’ experience with management of a team
- Extensive knowledge of UX, UI, and product design processes and experience with visual and communication design
- Experience using a variety of user research techniques and comfort with or willingness to learn both qualitative and quantitative research methods
- Strong interpersonal and collaboration skills and the ability to communicate clearly to a variety of stakeholders at different levels of the organization
- Comfort with managing projects and timelines independently and ability to accurately scope work and break down tasks
- Comfort with communicating in English, our working language
- Comfort with representing CareerFoundry and the CF design programs externally (e.g. occasionally running design-related workshops or webinars and featuring in design-related media)
- Experience designing in an educational context
- Experience with agile, scrum, and other project management methodologies
- Experience working with goal-setting frameworks like OKRs
How to Apply
Please include a CV or resume and a cover letter detailing why you’re a fit for the role, as well as a link to your portfolio.
We offer a welcoming culture and benefits
As a CareerFoundry employee, you get to help students improve their lives every single day through practical, applied learning. In order to achieve this, we cultivate an environment of growth and celebrate the idea of change as we push ourselves to become the best online bootcamp in the world.
- Flexible working times and working-from-home days
- Competitive salary and opportunities to grow your skills on the job, with performance reviews every 6 months and regular professional development check-ins
- A yearly education budget for each employee to learn new skills
- All the benefits of German health insurance and other social security
- An optional company retirement insurance plan
- Visa sponsorship and relocation support if needed
- Free access to the CareerFoundry courses
- Dog-friendly office and as much coffee (or tea!) as you need
- Regular team events, breakfasts, and holiday parties
- A nice, bright, and air-conditioned loft office in the middle of Berlin
- A product that has a real positive effect on the world by helping thousands of people change their lives through education
- A lot of autonomy and freedom in making decisions and leading initiatives
CareerFoundry is an equal opportunity employer. It is our commitment that every qualified person will be evaluated according to their skills regardless of age, gender identity, ethnicity, sexual orientation, disability status, or religion.